Sunday, September 1, 2013

Greetings!


            Salutations! I am pleased to welcome any and all readers to my blog, PopRelevant. Through this vein of social media I will be examining, dissecting, and discussing issues related to popular culture, as well as academic readings I may have encountered inside and out of the classroom. In any case I hope to deliver thoughtful and objective writings to readers and followers alike.
            I am personally concerned with popular culture because of the enormous impact it has on our lives. Whether we consume it voraciously via means of tabloids and online columns or simply through osmosis of folks chatting in a coffee house, popular culture is inescapably a part of our culture. For better or for worse, we have forged a relationship with population culture as both a product of our media consumption and an entity that seemingly grows without provocation.
            In this blog I aim to analyze phenomenon of popular culture – perhaps trends in literature, movies, television, music – and I hope my aim is true. (Apologies, I cannot escape from referencing Elvis Costello.) While I plan on doing my best to diversify the media that I write about, I may find myself primarily touching upon film and music. The reason being is that I feel these two mediums supply some of the most captivating and thought-provoking revelations and matters within popular culture. I feel that we have culturally appropriated so much from these subsects of media, so much importance falls upon them. Be prepared to see a great deal of emphasis on popular music, classic film, and those figures involved in creating the arts. (And yes, Elvis Costello will more than likely appear in my writings I can help it.)
            One aspect of popular culture that I find incredibly interesting is how certain products of media can thematically influence our lives and personal identity. To take a page from my own book, in my teenage years I identified with the films of Wes Anderson as well as the characters and themes presented within them. In fact, I would wager I was so influenced by the likes of Rushmore and The Royal Tenembaums that I made decisions and handled relationships with others the same way I believed the characters in the films would. I wasn’t incredibly impressionable – but I identified with these characters and themes and truly believed that by living a life similar to them may ultimately lead to happiness. Deem me a hipster, indie-kid, dirty bohemian – whatever. I still identify with those films to a lesser extent than I did a few years ago, and I cannot overlook the powerful way it affected me. I believe a lot of identity now lies within popular culture and it’s great molding powers.
            Dear readers, thank you for stumbling upon this popular culture blog. I truly plan to supply you with some worthwhile content on PopRelevant. I appreciate the opportunity to give unto others reading material, and I humbly thank anyone viewing this blog. In the words of Rick Blaine, “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
            

No comments:

Post a Comment