Monday, November 18, 2013

Fight Club Presentation: Reflection


            For the group Fight Club project, I feel that we did a very fine job at delineating skills and responsibilities equally within the members of our project. I feel we were very diligent in completing our responsibilities and commitments to the project, despite us all having very difficult schedules and living in very different areas of the San Fernando Valley.
            When we initially discussed our project in class, it was apparent I was the only member that had seen the film and read the book several times before this course, which was great because not only did I love the text and the David Fincher film, but I felt that my knowledge could be very useful. (I say this in most humble way possible, as I don’t wish to appear pragmatic or better than any other group member on the basis that I have seen a film or a read a book more times than them.)
            When we met for the final time in person, we all agreed to take on an aspect of the text and present on it in class, becoming a mini-expert of sorts on our topic. My topic was Nietzsche’s “uber-mensch” or “overman” concept within Palahnuik’s novel. That is to say, the betterment of one’s self can come through means of another pushing them to become better – evolving above the average man to become the over man and to be the best possible form of oneself they can be.
            In our first meeting we all brainstormed to come up with topics for the 7 of us to present on, and everyone had very thoughtful input on what to present to class. Likewise, when we were deciding our group activity, I feel we all had a thoughtful and equal say as to what we would do for the class and our project, with all members responding and putting forth valuable input.
            In our presentation to the class, I presented my concept and conferred with my group members. I also agreed to do an introduction of sorts, and a wrap-up to our presentation, which I admit was more extemporaneous that rigidly rehearsed, but I was proud of it nonetheless. I feel all the other members presented very well, and through our hard work and collaboration we achieved a well-done presentation, one that was overall built on a solid foundation of hard work, communication, and a good understanding of our personal duties.
            I would gladly work with this group again, for I felt we all knew very clearly what our duties were and how we would go about doing them. As an orator, group leader and in a sense, discussion emcee (I use this term lightly for I don’t wish to diminish the work of others) I felt my contributions were just as vital to our overall presentation as others were, and I am very happy in being able to comfortably say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment